Skip to content

Shocks and Tingles

Report all shocks and tingles on 13 13 51

You can't see an electrical fault, but you can feel one

Feel an electric shock or tingle? Don’t ignore it. Report it.

If you ever experience a zap or tingling sensation when touching an electrical appliance at home, it could be a sign you have an electrical wiring issue. We take electric shocks and tingles seriously, as it can put your safety at risk including your fellow neighbours.

Find out what you need to do to keep yourself, your family and the community safe.

Steps to stay safe

  • Felt a shock or tingle?

    Don't touch the appliance or location of the shock again until we know your property is safe.

  • Call us immediately on 13 13 51

    We’ll send out the next available crew member to make the area safe.

    It's also worth seeking medical advice if you've had a shock to make sure there's no injury to the affected person.

  • We'll give you a call

    One of our investigators will be in touch for more information, so let us know who's best to speak to making sure you give us your correct contact details. 

  • Determining the cause

    Our crew will check your connection for either a network or private property issue. To ensure ongoing safety you may temporarily have your power disconnected.

    Depending on the cause we'll fix it for you or we'll give you advice on who to contact to rectify it.

  • If it's a private property issue

    It's likely that the issue is with the wiring in your property and may need to inspected/rectified by a qualified electrician. The responsibility to source and pay for the electrician is with the property owner.

  • If it's a network issue

    Our crews will carry out repairs and reconnect the installation. We will ensure that you are reconnected as soon as possible.

  • Safe to reconnect

    Once the advice provided has been addressed your electrician will notify us and we'll reconnect you as soon as possible. Times can vary depending on the complexity and volume of faults at the time.

  • Follow up

    A member of the WA Electrical inspectors will contact you to inspect that the necessary work has been carried out safely and that the issue has been addressed.

    Find our more about them in the FAQ's below. 

You can't see an electrical fault, but you can feel one

Report all shocks and tingles
to Western Power on 13 13 51

Electric shocks and tingles FAQs

  • What should I do if I've had an electric shock or tingle?
  • What is an electric shock or tingle?
  • Where do electric shocks and tingles commonly occur?
  • What if the cause of the shock is a network issue?
  • What if the cause of the shock is wiring in my property?
  • Will I still have power while the issue is being fixed?
  • How do I get reconnected?
  • Who are the WA Electrical Inspectors?

As soon as practicable, call Western Power on 13 13 51 to report the nature of the electric shock or tingle. It is essential that you call us so we can investigate the matter as soon as possible.

It is important that once an electric shock / tingle has been experienced and reported, do not touch or ‘re-test’ the location of the incident again.

Where shocks are received from any metal work such as taps, switchboards or appliances, remain clear of all other metallic equipment at the property until we attend and ensure safety.

Read more

An electric shock is obvious – you’ll feel a zap or possibly painful force run through you. This is hard to ignore and you generally know that you’ve had an electric shock. You should notice the difference between an electric shock and the shock you get from static electricity – the minor discharge you get when you’ve walked on wool carpet and then touch something metal. If you’re not sure, it’s better to err on the side of caution and report it to us on 13 13 51.

A tingle is a low-level electric shock.

Read more

Electric shocks and tingles come from places in the property or installation that have electrical wiring or metal components.

If there is faulty wiring in the property or appliances, this can cause electric shocks and tingles.

They most commonly occur in electrical appliances, power points and switches, taps and shower heads.

If the cause is found to be a network issue, our crews will carry out repairs and reconnect the installation. We will ensure that you are reconnected as soon as possible.

If it is found that the cause of the electric shock is not due to the network connection, it is likely that the issue is with the wiring in your property and may need to inspected/rectified by a qualified electrician. The responsibility to source and pay for the electrician is with the property owner. If you are renting, this responsibility sits with your landlord and they should be notified immediately so that appropriate actions can be taken to remedy the issue.

To ensure the safety of property occupiers and neighbouring customers, our crews may be required to disconnect your property, or part thereof, from the electricity network. Where internal electrical faults are identified, isolation is required until they can be inspected/rectified by a qualified electrician. These wiring faults can pose a risk for not only the occupants but also neighbouring residents.

We know it can be inconvenient to be without power until the issue is resolved, but it’s essential that you and your family are safe before any reconnection takes place.

If the responsibility is yours or your landlord’s, once your electrician has fixed the wiring issue, they must submit a notice to Western Power to request that your property be reconnected to the main electricity network. Time taken to reconnect may vary depending on a number of factors, in some instances this may be for an extended period of time.  This is to ensure the safety of all people involved – you and our field crews alike.

WA Electrical Inspectors play an important role in investigating the cause of an electric shock. They investigate shocks on behalf of the safety regulator Building & Energy (formerly named EnergySafety).

When you report the electric shock or tingle to us, we also notify the WA Electrical Inspectors who complete an investigate report on the cause of the shock/tingle, and determine when the property or appliance is able to be energised again.

Following the incident, an electrical inspector may contact you or attend your property to ask some questions in relation to the electric shock. It is...

Read more
View all FAQs