Skip to content

What is an electric shock or tingle?

FAQs

Search, or browse through the topics below to find answers.

What is an electric shock or tingle?

An electric shock is obvious – you’ll feel a zap or possibly painful force run through you. This is hard to ignore and you generally know that you’ve had an electric shock. You should notice the difference between an electric shock and the shock you get from static electricity – the minor discharge you get when you’ve walked on wool carpet and then touch something metal. If you’re not sure, it’s better to err on the side of caution and report it to us on 13 13 51.

A tingle is a low-level electric shock. It may feel more like a warm, fuzzy feeling that runs through you – kind of like pins and needles. You may not think it’s an issue or not know what has happened. Regardless, it’s still an early warning sign that there may be a wiring issue.