Skip to content
Kalgoorlie storm response View details Close


Sub-meter FAQs

An electricity subsidiary meter (sub-meter) is a meter that allows for the monitoring of electricity usage on a portion of your private installation past the revenue meter. Typical users of sub-metering are residential properties with a granny flat, apartment buildings, shopping centres, mobile home parks and commercial buildings.

The revenue meter records the total consumption and the sub-meter records the part consumption for the sub-metered area only. Thus the sub-meter’s consumption is recorded in the revenue meter. 

Sub-meters are typically privately owned and are not part of the Western Power network. Sub-meters include:

  • meters purchased from Western Power when the customer’s multiple revenue meters were converted to sub-meters with the installation of a single revenue meter
  • meters where ownership has been transferred from Western Power to privately owned.

Western Power has no statutory or regulatory obligation to read sub-meters. Customers with sub-meters requiring sub-meter readings should engage the services of a private meter reader if they are not able to read it themselves. We recommend that sub-meter customers consult with the revenue meter customer to arrange a suitable private meter reader should they require reads.

Yes. If you want to install a new sub-meter or replace an existing sub-meter you can arrange this through a licensed electrical contractor. A Western Power owned meter cannot be used. You are able to purchase a meter privately from a meter supplier.

An existing sub-meter can be replaced at any time by engaging a licensed electrical contractor.

You need to engage a licensed electrical contractor for a new meter and the meter replacement service.

You will need to engage a licensed electrical contractor to perform the meter removal.

Western Power has no statutory or regulatory obligation to maintain or replace sub-meters or any part of your installation.

The sub-meter owner is responsible for maintaining the meter. The maintenance may be arranged through an electrical contractor or consultant.

You will need to engage a licensed electrical contractor to perform the necessary wiring changes, and open a new account with your electricity retailer for each new revenue meter.

You can have a licensed electrical contractor perform a sub-meter test. Western Power has no statutory or regulatory obligation to perform a sub-meter test.

The revenue meter is required to be changed or reconfigured to measure bi-directional energy flows (import – export meter registers) before the connection of the embedded generation system. Please contact your electricity retailer before applying to Western Power for technical approval of your proposed system.

If a sub-meter is associated with the connection point at which bi-directional flows will occur, you may wish to engage a licensed electrical contractor to change the sub-meter and make the necessary arrangements with you at the revenue meter.

If bi-directional flows will occur at a sub-meter the measurement of energy flows is at the discretion of the customer. You may wish to engage an electrical consultant or contractor for energy management options.

Common sub-metering arrangement

The diagrams below illustrate typical revenue meter and

sub-meter configurations.

Residential property with granny flat

Residential property with granny flat

Apartment buildings and shopping centres

Apartment buildings and shopping centres

Power station

Power station

Note: SPD means Service Protection Device.


Need to speak to someone?

We're here to help.
Call us on 13 10 87 (7am-5pm Monday to Friday) or
email your enquiry to

Kalgoorlie storm response

Update 19 November 2017 - 6.30pm

We have restored electricity to about 3,000 customers in the Kalgoorlie-Boulder area since the wild storms that struck the Goldfields yesterday.

We have eight extra specialist crews in the region working into the night to restore power as safely and as quickly possible to our other 14,000 customers currently without electricity.

Further restorations are expected this evening, but people - especially those with an individual connection wire from their house to the network that has been brought down by debris - should be preparing for a night without power.

In some limited cases those individual customers may be without power for several days more until connections can be repaired and tested and declared safe by authorised specialists.

Four 500kVA Western Power Emergency Generators will be used to assist in restoration and other critical infrastructure when it is safe to do so. Two nursing homes have had power restored with the use of generators.

We are continuing to focus efforts on lines that can restore power and services to critical infrastructure and large numbers of customers in an attempt to return power as quickly and as safely to as many people as possible.

The priority areas for our crews at the moment are in Coolgardie, Kambalda, Boulder, Lionel West , Somerville and Picadilly South, the central business district and Hannan and Porter Streets in Kalgoorlie.

Over 173 hazards were registered with Western Power which has been reduced substantially but there are still a number of hazards left to attend, and our crews are discovering more hazards as they move through the network frustrating our progress.

If you see a fallen powerline or damaged pole call make the safe call to Western Power on 13 13 51 or if it is a life-threatening emergency, please call 000.

Power outage map for restoration times.