Skip to content
Kalgoorlie storm response View details Close


Connections FAQs

The connection of an underground cable from a power pole to a pillar near the front of your property is known as an underground connection.

You need to organise an electrical contractor to install a mains cable from the pillar to your meter box to complete the connection.

Running an underground cable from the pole in the street to your property is commonly referred to as a pole to pillar connection.
Depending on which side of the road the powerlines are, this may involve drilling under the road.
A pillar is then installed inside your property, close to the side and front boundaries.
You need to organise an electrical contractor to install a mains cable from the pillar to your meter box to complete the connection.

You can keep an overhead supply when:

  • you have an existing overhead electricity supply to your house,
  • you only require a standard electricity supply,
  • you can meet all the relevant safety requirements, such as clearances near swimming pools, etc., and
  • your power connection has not been abolished (if your power supply has been abolished then you need to apply for a new connection).

All new electricity connections and their associated connections must be undergrounded (there are some exceptions in rural areas). New connections can be requested via the Residents tab in new connections.

When subdividing a block you are introducing a new connection to the electricity network so this and all associated connections must be underground.

To connect into an existing pillar you need to submit an application for a new residential connection. Western Power will determine if any additional works are required to connect and provide you a quote. In most instances the only costs will be for a ‘disconnection/reconnection’ service for Western Power to come and terminate your consumer mains.

If you plan to demolish a property, and need the power disconnected and removed so the work can proceed safely, then first speak to your retailer to have your meter removed.

Your retailer will request us to disconnect the power.  We generally remove your meter and connection within 10 business days.

  • For overhead supply we remove the meter and overhead service cables
  • For underground supply we remove the meter. You must arrange to have the underground cable between the pillar and the building removed.

In certain circumstances, your retailer will request you complete the Connections, Disconnections and Metering form.  This will apply if you have a complex CT meter and to specific properties located in the CBD.


Need to speak to someone?

We're here to help.
Call us on 13 10 87 (7am-5pm Monday to Friday) or
email your enquiry to

Kalgoorlie storm response

Update 20 November 2017 - 1pm

We have restored more than 6,000 customers since the wild storms struck the area on Saturday night. There are another 10,000 to go with many individual jobs to fix.

We have one major line to repair from our Piccadilly substation and then all lines from that site will be repaired. All going well, this will see electricity restored for a large number of customers in Boulder by this evening.

Fresh crews are onsite in Kambalda and we are also aiming to have power to most of the town by this evening. But there is damage across a wide area which is hampering our restoration efforts.

As we move through and systematically return power to the network there may be some frustration from homes and businesses as parts of suburbs will come on before others. This is because they are fed from a different line. In addition, some suburbs with underground power are fed from damaged overhead lines.

This is what has happened in parts of Piccadilly and Lamington in Kalgoorlie. We understand the confusion this is causing but we ask for continuing patience as we work to return network power.

In preparation for restoration, we ask homes and businesses to please make sure that RCD’s have been reset and property damage repairs are made by a qualified electrician.

We cannot reconnect service lines to homes if your private connection is not safe.

We also have three electrical inspectors that will assess the work done to private residences to make sure the connection is ready and safe for network connection.

Our control centre will systematically re-energise parts of the network once they are cleared and made safe by crews.

Although the majority of hazards have been cleared there are still repairs that need to be completed to return some customers to network power. The widespread nature of the damage means some individual homes will be without power for several days. Most schools in the region are closed today. But we are hoping to have the bulk of the Goldfields region with power by today.

We have also had some customers inquire about vouchers and compensation. Western Power's depot in Kalgoorlie is operational only and does not have any of these forms.

Customers who are eligible for the 12 hour extended $80 outages payment from the State Government can access those forms from our website. This payment is not designed to compensate for all losses. It is an acknowledgement of the inconvenience of long outages. You should contact your insurer to inquire about further damages claims.

If you see a fallen powerline of damaged pole call make the safe call to Western Power on 13 13 51 or if it is a life-threatening emergency, please call 000.

Power outage map for restoration times.