Skip to content

Retailer connections

Contestability describes a customer at an electricity connection point who has an annual electricity consumption greater than 50,000kWh (5.7kW demand) per year and is free to choose a retailer.

How to apply

If you believe the contestable status of a connection point should be updated, complete an electricity transfer application - other services form.

Our A7 (RT7-HVCMD), A8 (RT8-LVCMD) or A11 (TRT1-TREX) reference services require the user to nominate a CMD that reflects their expected annual peak demand. Any demand above the CMD will result in an excess network usage charge (ENUC), designed to encourage customers to take the necessary actions to minimise the risk of damage to our infrastructure.

How to apply

To apply for CMD increases/decreases, a new CMD or to change from an existing CMD connection point to a non-CMD reference service:

  1. complete electricity transfer application CMD request form
  2. email the form in PDF format to

A customer transfer is a request made by a retailer to transfer a contestable customer from another retailer to supply the customer’s connection point with electricity services. The retailer, also known as the financially responsible market participant (FRMP), then becomes accountable for any access charges relating to the connection point.

Once the retailer has verifiable consent from their customer, the retailer whom the customer is transferring to:

  1. raises a customer transfer request using the metering service centre
  2. nominates a proposed transfer date and tariff 

If required, we will ensure the meter is changed and a final meter reading is taken on the transfer date.

Customer transfer code

From 1 January 2005, customers consuming more than 50 megawatt hours per annum have been eligible to choose to purchase electricity from a number of licensed electricity retailers.

Pursuant to sections 29(2)(a) and 29(2)(b) of the Electricity Industry Act 2004, the Electricity Industry Act 2004, the Electricity Industry Customer Transfer Code 2016 was developed to provide a robust framework to support the increase in customer transfers that is likely to be brought about through the lowering of the threshold for customer contestability.

The Customer Transfer Code promotes retail competition by setting out rules governing the provision of information relating to contestable customers, processes for transferring customers from one retailer to another, and obligations of retailers and network operators in processing and implementing the transfer of a contestable customer.

This involves disconnecting or reconnecting a customer from or to the electricity network to remove or restore energy through a meter. This may be done by removing or reinstating the meter’s fuse.

Note:  Before requesting a de-energisation, retailers must fulfil all obligations and due diligence for warning notifications, hardship and life support issues. The metering officer is not a representative of the retailer and will not enter into any discussion about the situation or accept payment.

By 1 June each year, we must calculate transmission and distribution loss factors for each connection point in the network and provide these to the IMO. The applicable loss factors are published on the AEMO website.

A retailer can request to divide a single connection point into multiple points, or merge multiple connection points into a single point, subject to clause 14 of the Applications and Queuing Policy

A request to split a connection point will only be accepted if all meters are revenue meters. Each connection point created must have its own metering equipment and we will assess the contestability of each connection point separately.

Multiple connection points can only be combined into a single one if all points are integral to a single commercial or industrial complex. For example, a supermarket acquiring adjacent premises with the intention of expanding across these premises can combine the two exit points into a single one.

How to apply

To split a single connection point, create multiple points or combine multiple points into a single point the retailer must:

  1. complete an electricity transfer application - other services form
  2. email the form in PDF format to

If a above standard supply is to be removed and the NMI to be made extinct, the property owner as well as their Retailer will need to submit the following:

  1. You can then complete the Connection Disconnection and Metering form.
  2. The retailer can then submit a supply abolishment service order via the Retailer and generator portal. The quote reference from the Connection Disconnection and Metering form needs to be included in the 'special instructions' section.

Temporary disconnections and disconnections for demolition

For information relating to temporary disconnections and residential demolitions you need to refer to the information in our disconnection section.

Service standards and standing data provision

For service standards refer to the Generic Metering SLA – Network operator and code participants (supply abolishment - page 29 of 58). (supply abolishment - page 29 of 58).

We offer 11 exit services as reference services, all of which are described in the price list and related information.

Reference tariff Reference service
A1 – Anytime Energy (Residential) Exit Service RT1
A2 – Anytime Energy (Business) Exit Service RT2
A3 – Time of Use Energy (Residential) Exit Service RT3
A4 – Time of Use Energy (Business) Exit Service RT4
A5 – High Voltage Metered Demand Exit Service RT5
A6 – Low Voltage Metered Demand Exit Service RT6
A7 – High Voltage Contract Maximum Demand Exit Service RT7
A8 – Low Voltage Contract Maximum Demand Exit Service RT8
A9 – Streetlighting Exit Service RT9
A10 – Un-Metered Supplies Exit Service RT10
A11 – Transmission Exit Service TRT1
B1 – Distribution Entry Service RT11
B2 – Transmission Entry Service TRT2
C1 – Anytime Energy (Residential) Bi-directional Service RT13
C2 – Anytime Energy (Business) Bi-directional Service RT14
C3 – Time of Use (Residential) Bi-directional Service RT15
C4 – Time of Use (Business) Bi-directional Service RT16

How to apply

To apply for a new reference service (excluding CMD / DSOC) or modify an existing one (excluding CMD/DSOC) for a connection point:

  1. complete electricity transfer application - other services form
  2. email the form in PDF format to

For reference service eligibility criteria, refer to appendix 7 of the current Access arrangement.