Skip to content
How can I keep my meter box safe?
- Ask a licensed electrician to inspect your meter box if it shows any signs of burn marks, worn wires or a strange smell
- Switch the power off at the main switch if you are doing any household maintenance or renovations
- Label all switches, circuit breakers and fuses in the meter box for easy identification
- Keep trees and shrubs away from your meter box
- Install circuit breakers or a safety switch. Safety switches are mandatory in all new homes. They can save lives and prevent injury from electric shock
- Check your safety switch every six months or in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions
- Check circuit breakers every two years or in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions
- Take special care when replacing fuses and make sure that the main switch is in the off position before starting
- If a fuse blows repeatedly have a licensed electrician check it.