Skip to content

Cricketing hero back amongst his mates

Just days after missing out on a lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL) contract, Western Power’s cricketing hero Craig Simmons has returned to work at Western Power’s Waroona depot with a renewed focus.

Craig, who is currently completing the second year of a line-worker apprenticeship, became a hero among his Western Power colleagues after hitting the fastest ever century in Big Bash League history and winning the 2014 final with the Perth Scorchers.

He said his focus was now on carving a solid innings with Western Power and was pleased to re-join his workmates after an eventful summer of cricket.

“Here I’m just one of the guys, which is how I like it. They’ve all been really supportive and more than willing to offer advice on how I can improve my game, especially early in the season when I wasn’t making runs,” Craig said.

With the Big Bash League over, Craig has returned to playing grade cricket with his local club Rockingham Mandurah. It was here that Craig first had the idea to pursue a career with Western Power.

“At the time I was working away in the mines and I wanted something that would allow me to be closer to home while also carving out a career.”

“One of the guys at the club worked at Western Power and encouraged me to apply and it’s been great so far.”

As a line-worker, Craig’s role includes network maintenance and emergency fault response in the Mandurah / Waroona region.

Although disappointed with missing out on an IPL contract, Craig said he was excited about the year ahead.

“What I love about this job is working in new places every day, delivering an essential service to the community and working with a great bunch of people. My focus for the remainder of the year is just to complete as much of my apprenticeship as possible.”

After spending most of his twenties as a professional cricketer, Craig said getting a full time job has had a positive effect on his cricketing performance.

“It just takes the pressure out of it, keeps me grounded and allows me to go and enjoy my cricket rather than see it as a job.”

“There are a lot of parallels between being a line-worker and a professional cricketer, such as the importance of teamwork and concentrating on the job at hand. I think teamwork is why the Scorchers were able to win the competition.”